Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Unanswerables

I know I shouldn’t but sometimes I wonder, “Why me?” I have a friend who is a GOOD person. She really is. I’m talking Christian, caring, sweet, fun-loving, just all around good girl. In the last two years, she has suffered more loss than anyone I know. Among other things, she has lost two children (though painful, I’m not even talking miscarriages) in one year. They had a beautiful, red-headed girl and a handsome, petite little boy. She carried them both the full 9 months and then lost them before she could even “complain” about the trials of parenthood.
When Everett was a baby and needed to be nursed every 3 hours (or less) night and day, I would think how grateful she would be to have to wake up and tend to a baby. Anyway, she’s one of the strongest people I will ever know. But that’s it…What makes me able to watch my healthy, happy son grow and smile and she never will? I did nothing to deserve this more than she does and it pains me that she can’t have this (for right now, I’m holding out hope that one day she will have a child to love.)
I look around at my life. We may not have the biggest house or the nicest things, but all that is so unnecessary. My life is so full and I try to remember that everyday. I have a wonderful husband that is the best teammate in marriage and parenthood. I have a healthy baby boy that has the smile thing down pat and has just recently started laughing. It’s a hiccupping sounding thing that seems to surprise him when it erupts from his belly.
Anyway, why do I get all these things and she has to suffer so much? I know there’s nothing I can do about it but whenever I talk to her, I feel like my words are beyond inadequate. I love her so much and want her to be happy but I cannot imagine continuing to be positive in the face of all that she’s been through. All I know to do is be thankful for my blessings. I just pray that one day, she will get the family and children in which she has dreamt. On this cold, (still) snowy Valentine’s Day, be grateful for all that you do and don’t have. I know I will.

3 comments:

  1. I just looked over Kristi's blog... the tears won't stop coming. To go through so much and not lose faith... I don't know if I could do it. She is definitely an amazing person...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so glad i found your blog! what a beautiful post and reminder... i'm adding you to my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's lucky to have a friend like you.

    ReplyDelete