Friday, July 29, 2011

Glass Half Full

Maybe it's the eternal optimist in me but this drives me crazy...

Isolated T-Storms High

I mean why does it have this ominous looking storm cloud and lightening for a 30% chance of rain? If I'm doing my math correctly, there's a 70% chance that it will be sunny with a few clouds, no? I think they should bring that little sunshine out from behind that dark cloud a bit and let it peek it's head around more.....perhaps like 70% of the sun should show. Just thought I'd release this pent up pet peeve since Homet is tired of hearing it every night while watching the news. Thank you and have a great weekend. After all, I'm banking on 70% chance of sunshine in my neck o' the woods!

Monday, July 25, 2011

Parenting 101

I should have been terrified for the first few weeks of E's life. However, I was in too much of a sleep deprived stupor to gather a rational thought. As the weeks turned into months and the nighttime "naps" got longer, I started to realize I was totally in charge of raising a person. Raising one, I discovered, is not all bedtime stories and boo boo kisses. I actually had to feed, change, and basically keep this person alive forever. I was gripped in fear for a little while and constantly panicked that I'd do something wrong. I would run through infant CPR in my head while he nursed, slept, burped, etc. The months turned into a year and he was still alive and, dare I say, thriving! Then....toddlerhood started. That is in a league all it's own. He's 20 months and I feel like in the last few months he's a different person. The vocabulary has exploded, the personality has come to life, he has his own opinion, and oh that temper. I find myself in situations at times where I have NO clue what to do. I've even started thinking, "Is he smarter than me?" That being said, maybe some of my Mom readers out there could bail me out of the following conundrums (it's spelled right. I googled.)

1. This potty training business isn't quite as hard as I expected. However, what the heck do I do if we are running errands, going to the park, etc. He's about 90% trained wearing big boy undies while we're at home but I've only braved leaving the house a few times. He's done fairly well but he has to pee about every 30 minutes. I know I should be consistent with either a diaper or undies as I don't mean to confuse him. However, if we're in the car longer than 30 minutes, he starts, "Mommy, peepeepeepeepee." Should I pull over and let him go on the side of the road? Do I stop at the next available gas station? Or should I just say diapers for errands, undies at home?

2. He loves to kiss my feet. Yeah, you read that right. At first, I thought it was funny. He's 100% Momma's Boy and kisses me whenever the chance arises. However, I keep telling him feet are yucky and not to be kissed. It never fails though, I'm getting ready in the morning, drying my hair, minding my own business, he's busy watching Cookie Monster and then, BAM...he's at my feet smooching away. Weird, huh? So anyone thinks my boy has a foot fetish or is this normal? I CANNOT imagine this is normal.
What, you thought I was making this up?

3. The hair. Oh man, that hair. I have just about surrendered to it. I have thrown in the white flag to this hair. If I comb it, it is a straight up afro. No joke. It gets so big. I end up having to wet it again and let it dry on it's own. I've tried to blow dry it while brushing it down. I think he might be too squirmy for the straightener (I kid, I joke.) I feel like I've tried everything and we end up just going into town/church/MMO looking like the toddler who's Mom forgot to fix his morning hair. Perhaps I should make him a shirt. I can see it now, "This IS brushed." On a side note in regards to this pic, where do kids learn to pull an Oreo apart and eat the white stuff first? The first time I saw this I was shocked. I certainly didn't teach him (I like mine all put together and thrown in some milk.) Homet swears he didn't teach him.

That's all my questions for today. I feel sure next week will be filled with more parenting uncertainties.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My Nook Book

I realized recently that I have hardly read a book in 20 months. Me, who used to read no short of a book a week prior to Ev, has barely picked one up. I have had the Drew Brees book beside my bed for 6 months and have only made it halfway through. I CANNOT get into it. I assumed it would be as good as Sean Payton's but I was sadly mistaken. However, my reading life changed on Sunday night. You see, I had to work and our boy was sick. Some fever virus that caused his temp to spike to 104.2. Yeah, scary even for a pediatric nurse Mom. Trust me, I was more "freaking out Mom" than "pediatric nurse Mom"! Anyway, after sitting with Ev all day while I worked, Hom talked my Mom into coming to see Shoog so that he could "run a few errands." After work, he met me with a "just because happy." Those don't happen too often after 5+ years of marriage so I was delighted. I opened my happy to find a Nook Color. Let me tell you. I am obsessed with that thing. In the three days since I've had it, I've already read two adult books and countless children's books. Ev is obsessed too. It has apps on it with buttons that make sounds. If you know my boy (or probably any boy, for that matter) you know that he is crazy about anything with buttons. That being said, Ev is napping so I am going to sit on the couch and finish another book. It's a hard life I lead, I tell ya.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

My Work

I know I talk about my job on here quite often. If you're not interested, I apologize (or you can just stop following my blog. Trust me, I'm not very interesting anyway. You won't miss a thing.) It is such a huge part of my life, professionally and socially. My co-workers are my friends, my family (strangely enough, my real sister actually does work alongside me--in addition to all my co-worker sisters and brothers. If she and I are working and there is a nurse between us, it's technically called a Clairain-wich. We're working on the patent.), and a big part of my support. Anyway, a colleague posted this on her Facebook page and reminded me how lucky I am. I knew it had been filmed a few months ago but never knew where it ended up. I never realize why I can go through tragedy, triumph, and everything in between everyday at work and shed a tear only occasionally. However, if I watch stuff like this, listen to the telethons, or see the kiddos after they've gotten better, I'm a weepy mess (like most rational humans would be.) Without further ado, I introduce you to my beloved place of employment...

Friday, July 1, 2011

Growing Up

My boy is starting to look more and more like his Daddy everyday.

Turns out, I'm crazy about both of my Watts' Boys.