Friday, March 16, 2012

The Reveal...


As some of you may know, we did not find out our son's gender while we were preggers. It was my idea. I've always dreamt of being surprised on my child's actual birthday and just think there is something so special about that. My hubs wasn't sure why in the world we wouldn't find out the gender. I told him, "Look, since I knew what babies were, I've wanted to do it this way. You've thought about babies for about 3 minutes before we had the 'When should we start trying' talk.' This is how we're going to do it this time. Next time, it'll be up to you." Of course, I thought I was getting the best of both worlds. I imagined him LOVING the big surprise on delivery day and wanting to repeat that for the next. (I also wanted to try a natural delivery and figured I'd take any motivation I could get.) Weeellllll, we got preg again and I reassured him that this time around, it was his choice. Right around 9 weeks pregnant, about 32.4 seconds after we'd heard the heartbeat for the first time, and confirmed a growing fetus, he asked, "So when will we be able to find out?" ARGH! Backfire. I tried to talk reason with him, but, in the end, agreed I'd support him in his decision. I did want to make it a bit special and share our "moment" with family somehow. As any modern day woman does, I searched Pinterest for options. We decided on a quaint Reveal Party with only our parents in attendance.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago, our "diagnostic ultrasound." We told anyone that came in our room that we did NOT want to know the gender. The US tech was to write it down on a piece of paper. Within 30 seconds of her putting the gel covered probe on my belly, I swear she said "He blah blah blah." I looked over at my Homet to see if he caught it, he grinned at me without a clue. (Later, over lunch, he swears that the he she was referring to was in the doctor.) I asked her, "Do you already know the gender?" She replied, "Oh yeah." Immediately, I thought that because she saw it so fast, it had to be a boy. I was CONVINCED, I tell ya. Anyway, after half an hour or so of looking at the innards of my growing child, it was time for our envelope and to be on our merry way. We took said envelope straight to the Fat Cake Guy bakery down the street. We had already arranged for our filled cupcakes so they were just waiting to see what color the filling was to be. Homet, later, picked up the box of cupcakes and took them home. We were scared to even look in the box, for fear we'd see a smear of blue/pink before our reveal lunch the next day. This is how the cupcakes stayed until, literally, minutes before we bit into them.
I finally convinced Homet to put them out for a little better photo op...

Our parents came for lunch the next day. Everyone got to wager one last guess.

I really wanted to make it more special and find out with them. Thus, we prepared a quick lunch of sammys, fruit salad, and chips served on paper plates. Didn't think I'd really want to wash dishes after the reveal.

I've never seen grown folks eat so quickly in my life. I was in no hurry, hoping that Homet would, at the last minute, change his mind. "Just kidding. I don't want to find out. Let's close our eyes and dump these cupcakes down the disposal. We'll find out in July!" He never actually said those words, but a girl can hope. After a couple minutes of everyone being served, I looked around and I was the only one not finished. I was just enjoying our parents all being together. They weren't. They were there for one mission. "Okay, time for cupcakes. Sara, put your sandwich away. It's time for dessert." Ooookkkkaayyy. The cupcakes were passed around (very gently, don't want a mishap at this point) and we got my sister on FaceTime. She was working but wanted to "be there."

Once that was all arranged, we counted to three so that we could all bite in at the same time. As soon as I bit in, I began choking and crying.

Guess my "mother's intuition" sucks because I just knew it was a boy. Pink was the last thing I thought I would be greeted with in that delish chocolate cake.

But pink it was and I could not have been happier. Crazy as it seems, I looked over at my Homet and said, "I get to go to ballet recitals, shop for wedding dresses, fight with her about boyfriends..." You get the point. At this point I was just rambling. It's amazing that as much of a tomboy as I was/am, I could be so excited about a little pink-clad girl. I know she'll like football (at least she'd better) but we can also learn about bows and skirts together. She's going to recognize what a poser I am when it comes to knowledge about makeup and hair. I always imagined I would be the mother of boys but I can't imagine anything better than getting a taste of both worlds. Speaking of intuition, this little fella had been telling us from day one that it was a "wittle sistah".

Guess we should have listened to him.

1 comment:

  1. So sweet! I just got all teary at your reaction! Love it! I felt the same way about having a girl (and then girls!). I was such a tomboy that I was afraid mine weren't going to like princesses, dressing up, etc. but she does. She's not obsessed with it and LOVES to play outside and in the mud/dirt. So don't worry, she will grow up to be loved and love! Regardless. So excited to hear about your journey!

    ReplyDelete