Sunday, March 28, 2010

Butternut Squash

I have wanted to make baby food for my children since...well, since before I actually had children. I love to cook. I love babies. Why not try my hand in baby food cooking? Plus, why are the jarred bananas pink? Ugh. My friend Mollie knew this and got me this fabulous cookbook for Christmas. After the rice cereal was eaten and accepted, it was time for solids(ish). First up...butternut squash. I've never even eaten butternut squash but my child does have quite the refined palate (or it was recommended as a first food.) Anyway, it was totally easy and actually quite delish. Here's what they started out looking like... (looks like a gourd, eh?)






Then, cut in half, scrape out the pumpkin-like insides and bake. Everett's not so sure...



After baking a while, scrape out the insides and you end up with this orange mess o' stuff.





Then the mini Cuisinart (I added about a Tbsp. breast milk to thin it a bit. Just enough to make it thinner but not so much that I didn't want to gag when I tried the squash with MY OWN BM in it.)



And, voila! Yummy.


I know he's acting like he's not quite sure but he totally loved them. He's such a poser.

2 comments:

  1. Making baby food is sooo easy and cheap! I made all of Emmie's, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. going to buy a butternut squash. PlEASE PLEASE keep posting on your babyfood making experiences. you are inspiring me to nix the pink bananas. :)

    ReplyDelete