Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Yumm-o Pears

Disclaimer for those of you wanting to make your own baby food and think that I'm some kind of super Betty Crocker for doing so---(I've gotten alot of comments on the squash post.)
Making baby food is SUPER easy. It's so not hard that I almost feel silly saying I'm making it. I've "made" squash, pears, carrots, bananas, and avocado and the most steps I've had to do is about 3. It's also way cheaper which, for those of you that know me, is big. I'm a bit of a penny pincher/cheap/Boxcar Willy but who's counting? The only disadvantage is the convenience with traveling which we do alot. It would probably be easier to just grab a jar for most people. However, if we're going somewhere I wouldn't feel comfortable pulling myself out to feed Rhett, I just pump before I leave and could easily put his food containers in the cold pack with the bottle. I'm not really sure how formula works but I guess you have to have a cold pack with you for those bottles? Wait...aren't they powder too? OK, maybe not. I digress...
So pears has turned out to be his favorite food yet. I'm not a huge pear fan. Something about the grainy texture kinda weirds me out. Anyway, the beauty of a pear is he likes it cold. I have discovered that he likes most things slightly warmed. I can serve the pears straight out the fridge. He also likes them mixed in rice cereal or oatmeal. The boy loves him a pear. Here are the steps and I'm telling you people, it's easy peasy so I won't even call it "making baby food" anymore. I'll call it...hmmm...any suggestions? I get such a bad rap for saying making baby food, I've gotta figure some other way to put it. Maybe I'll just keep my mouth shut and jar up his homemade baby food. That way I just don't have to hear it.
I used 3 pears and it made about 7 2-oz. servings.
Slice them up, roughly the same size and cut out the core remnants. Put the slices in a pot to steam. I, honestly, can't remember how long I steamed them. Just do it until they are easy to stab with a fork.
Peel off the skins...
I skipped a step in pics but you then Cuisinart them. I've found it purees better if you mash with a potato masher then Cuisinart them. Here's your pears.
Here's Everett dive bombing his pears. He does this arm out, mouth open thing for every bite. Is that normal? Wade contemplated how we'd all look if we all ate like that. Talk about people watching at restaurants.

3 comments:

  1. ok so, showing my stupidity here, but...
    a. how do you "steam" them?
    b. how do you "keep" them
    c. what sort of containers do you get to "keep them"
    d. how long does the homemade baby food last?

    clearly i need details. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In our house, if it doesn't come out of a can, its called cooking! Give yourself a little credit. I totally think I am making gourmet for Hazel when I make babyfood.

    And Jenny- I have this pan that sits on top of the stove that has two levels, water on the bottom and food on the top and then you just cook on stovetop until soft. And then I put my pureed food in icecube trays to freeze and then put them in freezer bags, marked with type of food and date I made and then just defrost however many cubes I need each time. Super easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, so i'm totally inspired now! i found the green steamer insert at kroger today, and stocked up on some fruit and an avocado and butternut squash! let the cooking begin! HE LOVED THE PEARS btw! yay!!! we have a "seal a meal" thing so shan divides it up into serving size pouches and we froze the leftover pears. it's so exciting to see them eat something that is completely natural and NOT from a jar! :)
    please keep posting on the food thing...i'm sort of clueless. or...i could just order that book! LOL

    ReplyDelete