Monday, April 4, 2011

Who Knew Swaddling Could Be So Scary?!?!

So I went to a pediatric orthopaedic seminar the other day and learned a few things. Most of the things you really won't care about (I REALLY tried to care since it pertains to my profession.) However, there was one point that I got out of this thing. Research has shown that incorrect swaddling (also "bundling" in Native American cultures) made hip dysplasia diagnoses sky rocket.


Hip dysplasia typically requires multiple surgeries and therapies to correct. I don't know about you guys but, in addition to swaddling my babies at work, I swaddled Ev almost daily. Now, I need to clarify. There is a correct way to do it. The main thing to realize is that baby's legs, in a resting position, are frog-legged. You know how their little legs stay drawn up to their belly? Well, let them stay that way. People were swaddling babies with their legs straight and hip dysplasia started to grow in numbers. The people were educated and numbers started decreasing. Turns out, babies need their legs to stay in the "drawn up" position to develop properly. Anyway, I just thought this was important info to pass along to you moms or soon to be moms out there. It's okay to swaddle just make sure their little fat legs are relaxed and not constricted down. Sorry this was a long, boring post but when I googled "How to Swaddle a Baby", most of the videos showed people swaddling with legs down. I'll leave you with a pic of Homet trying to learn to swaddle prior to Ev being born. This is what I found when I walked in our living room after work one day...

Yes, he's practicing on a sock monkey and, yes, I just wrote a post with "Research has shown." Who the heck am I?!

No comments:

Post a Comment