Monday, May 16, 2011

Baby Angler

We have an annual crawfish out at my Dad's land in Ebenezer (read: the COOOWN-TRY). Dad has a catfish stocked pond in front of his house so Ev and I decided to wet a line. He was reel (get it...reel. harhar) interested in throwing the line out there and reeling it back in. However, when he realized there was an actual squirmy fish on the end of it, he clung to me like an alligator was coming after him. It made it easy for me though with him clinging to me like that. I didn't even have to hold him. Look ma, no hands. Tadaaa!

This is about as close to touching a fish as I'll get. I was pretty proud of myself. You know, I had to appear brave so my boy will take them off the line for me one day.

Hom came in to rescue us and get hook out of said fish's gum. Otherwise, the fishing day was over. I decided that if I caught a fish when no man was around to take it off, I would just leave it on the line, prop the pole near the water, and let the guy get himself off. Survival of the fittest. I think he'd have figured it out eventually.
Side note: When the men folk were talking about how to get rid of a coon this was the convo between my father in law and Dad:
FIL: Make sure you check your trap everyday.
Dad: Yeah, that's what I heard.
Me: (brow furrowed) Why would you have to check it everyday? I mean, what if you go on vacation?
FIL and Dad (in unison): Coons will eventually chew off their leg to get out of the trap.
Me: Fab.
Survival of the fittest, I tell you.



He was much happier when the fish was out of sight. Boy better get used to it! Wait until he's expected to skin a deer. He won't make it very long in Talullah if we don't whip him into shape. I probably could have helped out his cause if I'd have put him in a manly T-shirt instead of crawfish smocking. Made him feel the part, ya know?

No comments:

Post a Comment