Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Yes, I'm still pregnant

So here's the thing. Tomorrow I will be 39 weeks pregnant. I feel fine, not ridiculous uncomfortable or anything. I'm mainly just excited to see what we're having and what he/she looks like.
It's funny how people start acting at this point. My family calls or texts about 5 times a day. Do they really think I'm going to forget to call when something happens? Wade's concerned I'll call my Mom BEFORE I call him. I think it's kinda funny. I would compare it to when Wade and I had been dating a while. For those of you who have been around a while, you know Wade's a mighty cautious fella. Here's the short version of the story...
We had been dating about 8 months when I really thought it was real. No, it wasn't love at first sight or anything totally romantic (or unreal) like that. I just started feeling like something was different with him. I was leaving for a week in May to go to New Orleans to prepare for my nursing boards with two friends from school. Wade was coming over to my house to see me off and I suddenly had the urge to tell him that I loved him. Neither one of us had said it yet and I was freaking out. I had lost a friend in a car accident a few years before and didn't feel like I told her I loved her/cherished our friendship enough and I always regretted that. Anyway, telling Wade I loved him felt like it was a huge weight on my shoulders. When he came over, I awkwardly blurted it out. He looked stunned and I'm pretty sure he thanked me or something when my friends knocked on the door to pick me up. I got in the car and told them and they were mortified that he hadn't said it back. I felt such relief though. I didn't care that he had not repeated it because I wasn't telling him to hear it back. I was telling him because I HAD to, that simple. Well, cute and all, right? I didn't say it again. I wasn't going to pressure him but I felt like, if anything happened, he knew how I felt. Fast forward almost a year. Yes, YEAR!!! He still had not said the L word and, no, I had not repeated it. Lindsay lived in California and most of my other friends lived across the country travel nursing. Every single time I called one of those unsupportive bitches, the first thing was, "Did he say it?" Now, at this point we'd been dating a year and a half. Did they really think I would have forgotten to call them? Did they really have to re-remind me everytime we spoke that, "No, he hasn't. I was actually calling to get your chicken salad recipe. However, thanks again, for reminding me on this beautiful Saturday. Gotta go." Well, yes, he finally said it 18 months after our first date and, honestly, I wouldn't change a thing. It seems to have worked out well for us. Anyway, long story to say that this baby waiting feels exactly like that.
I'll call to chit chat with Mom and she's all out of breath, "Yeah????"
To which I reply, "What are you guys doing?"
She's stuttering back like a school girl, "Nothing, what's up? How ya feel? Any contractions?"
"Uh, yeah, but no more than normal and, no, I'm not calling to say get in the car. I was just going to ask what your platelet count was yesterday and what your doctor said about the chemo."

Family and friends: I promise I will let you know the second anything happens. You need not blow up my phone, text, e-mail, etc. I know it's the first grandchild, niece/nephew, yadda yadda yadda, but it will happen and when it does, we have a list of 179 people to notify. I'll need a little help. And a final note...Mom, you know good and well, you will be the first to know. Lindsay, you'll be a mighty close second. As for Wade's "list of people to call first", I have no control.

5 comments:

  1. Okay, already. I'll just sit and wait. But I sure do have some good tips for dealing with labor, so I know that you'll want me to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute story! Glad that the home stretch has been bearable for the home team. You are almost there! Can't wait to see pics of him/her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, any contractions yet? Just kidding! Just savor it- because soon, you will be an afterthought after that baby!! I always enjoyed the fact that NO-ONE silenced or "ignored" my calls during those last few weeks of pregnancy when I called them because they thought it may be "that call." Or maybe I am the only one who ever gets silenced by her mom....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm posting a comment b/c I just figured out that I can. :) I suck at this blogging thing!!
    -Hallie

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha that cracked me up!!
    Love ya TORI

    ReplyDelete