Thursday, February 17, 2011

Make love, not war

I was listening to a radio talk show on Valentine's Day and they were discussing wonderful love stories, new love, etc. Someone posed a question to the host that went something like this: "If you could give someone one piece of advice that is starting a new relationship, what would it be?" It really got me thinking. What would I advise them?

When Hom and I got married, his uncle and aunt were celebrating somewhere around 50 years of marital bliss. We were at the rehearsal dinner when Uncle J. O. walked up to his nephew. He was usually fairly light-hearted. However, at this moment, he got very serious and told Hom, "No matter what's going on, no matter what cross words you've spoken to each other, no matter what grudges you are carrying, when your eyes open in the morning and before they close every night, tell her you love her. Then, you'll last a lifetime." Homet and I have taken that advice to heart and hope to live long enough to celebrate another 45 years.

When Homet got home Valentine's Day, arms full of flowers and steaks, I offered him that question, "What would you advise new couples that want their relationship to last?"
I followed it with my already prepared answer, "I would tell them to 'not sweat the small stuff.' Most things are really not worth fighting over. "
"Huh," Hom said nodding.
"So. What would your advice be?" I pressed.
Homet, with little hesitation, smiled and stated, "Marry your best friend."
I didn't know whether to hug him or cower in shame. Here I am talking about how to fight properly and my hubs is talking about how to love properly.

Umm. That was definitely my second piece of advice.


The Home Team
11/15/2005
3 days old
Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI

1 comment: