Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Beautiful Unknowns

Many people talk about how frustrating it is not knowing what a young baby needs when they're crying. '"I just wish he could tell me what he wants"' is a common sentiment. Well, while I can appreciate that (even though to be perfectly honest, Rhett is pretty predictable), I'm going the other way with it. These are the things I appreciate right now...

--When his head slams into my chest while sitting on my lap, I'm going to assume that he's just ready for a good snuggle and not that actually he doesn't have full control of that heavy head.
--When he smiles and giggles, I'm assuming it's because I'm the funniest thing he's ever been around and not actually that he's tooting or filling up a diaper.
--When he coos and babbles at me, he's saying things such as, "I love you, Mom" and "You're such a good caregiver!" and not actually, "Mom, you look like a real idiot dancing in front of me and talking in that voice" or "Why don't you just leave me alone already. I think there's a nice, quiet peaceful nursery back there where I could get a little private meditation done. Yeah, thanks."
--And the age old: When he "holds" my finger, he really wants to hold it and it's not actually just a primitive reflex which is also shared by our wonderful primate friends, the monkeys.

I'm embracing my nonverbal baby. And, no, I'm not doing sign language. Call me a bad mom but I didn't learn it and I turned out fine (I like to think so.)

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I just posted or not, I got locked out so I will say it again for good measure!

    Funny! I don't sign with mine either. Babies are too terribly complicated- we can figure it out, eventually.

    Z headbutts my chest too, but its because she is hungry. Its the funniest thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we don't sign either and I am completely with you in loving the nonverbals...and lost in my own world of what they mean instead of what they probably really do mean:)

    ReplyDelete